Friday, January 26, 2007

no other way.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Where do you want to be in 10 years?
What are your 10 year goals? etc.
I used to love to be asked this question or questions just like these ones.
I think I liked it so much because I felt like I always had the good sounding answers.
You know...like if my grandma asked I would say, with a wife and kids and a job and going to church somewhere (the younger cousins would all say things about pizza and Nintendo).
If my teacher asked I would say, with a wife and kids and a job and going to school.
(everyone else would say stuff about money and fame...I wanted money and fame too).
If my mom asked I would say, working to support my family and serving God.
(it was safe and made me stop asking me question so that I could get back to my life of eating pizza and playing Nintendo)
You know what I mean. You reach a point in your life whether it is something we grow out of or not...that you like to be asked certain questions because you feel like you have a good answer.
I mean...Girls love it when you ask them, "how are you doing"...if they are engaged and planning a wedding…but the other 70 years of their lives you will probably get the answer..."I'm ok."
I think it’s the same with guys and our football teams and money type stuff.

Back to THE QUESTION. I don't really have much of an answer anymore.
I hadn't thought of it in a long time and then when I was asked last month at, no other place but,
my ordination interview...it hit me like a 10 year old kid being asked about calculus (actually...it was just as if they asked me about calculus today).

It was one of those moments where I opened my mouth to answer the simple question that had always been so simple to 'cheese my way through'...but no words came out and all I could do was make obvious stalling movements and sounds like...stretching my arms, yawning (very small), looking at the ceiling and, of course, making the professional noises like..."well, um...ya know that's a good question. I was wondering when you would ask that."

But that only bought me six and a half seconds. So after my 6 and a half were up...I said, “I have no idea. I just hope I am still OBEDIENT."

I mean this in no cocky, prideful, arrogant, "look and listen to me" sorta way. But God spoke through me...to me that afternoon. Those dudes liked my answer but it wasn't mine and it has changed the way I live since that day.

Its what I have always believed...but it is not what I have always lived by.
Success = obedience to God.
That's it. plain and ridiculous. Against all logic that we can bring, all plans we can scheme, and all adventures we can dream. I believe that success in life is directly and solely connected to our level of obedience to God's voice. It calls for absolute trust and complete abandon. It calls for us to consistently ask ourselves..."am I living in obedience?"

When trouble comes along, when I am blamed for something, when another person is upset at me, when I am feeling good, bad, mad, glad or anything else you can feel (ending in 'd').
I must ask myself, “am I living my life and making choices that are directed by myself or by the God who knows, loves, created and cares about us all?

Because if I am! Than there is nothing to worry about!
I get chill thinking about that. Its simply amazing.

I think too many times a "new" option comes along that may be a good option.
It may look like an option that others who know and care about you say will be the best.
It may be an option that is what you have been praying for and seems to be the answer.
But is it an shiny new road or a place that God is clearly directing you down.

Friends, I have seen too many people singing, raising their hands, and loving others for God but making decisions for themselves. I have done this.

I wonder if we miss the point entirely when we think happiness or personal fulfillment have anything to do with God's definition of success? I wonder if we are missing something when we see every new option as a sure sign of God's path...what if we saw life as something that God knows best and obedience is the only way to survive?

Trust and obey
There is NO other way

It’s a radical trust but the peace surpasses all understanding.

JARED

3 Comments:

Blogger mlbeck said...

"Plain and ridiculous"...I love you man.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my boy! I couldn't resist. Anyway, during my sabatical on the beach in San Diego this week I was reading in Hebrews and the comment I wrote in my bible was " I want to live in responsive obedience to God's action as revealed in Jesus" Like mother like son. I know exactly what you mean when it sends chills, Jared. And that confident obedience really does bring peace amidst the chaos.

10:41 PM  
Blogger katie said...

thanks. what Truth. hope you guys are doing well, and give your beautiful wife a hug for me :) love you guys... katie

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home