Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Was it the holy spirit or the giant sub-woofer?

Hey, winter jam was a cool concert. The Christian bands were not bad and the even the fanatical old school Christian guys who couldn't go two seconds without asking for money and donations to help spread the love were bearable tonight. My group 0f 30 kids loved it. But…here's my thought.

The total attendance was nearly 17,000 people jammed into the Greensboro Coliseum going crazy for 4 hours. But then, at the perfect time there was a speaker on the stage, delivering a message of hope and love. He was definitely a youth speaker. He was funny, could handle a crowd, confident in his skill and kept the attention of people who were screaming and jumping around 5 minutes before he got up there. He was good and defintely called.

At the end of his message he gave a call and some 300 people came forward and made commitments for God. Out of the 300 people who went forward 118 of them made first time commitments to receive Christ. Pretty cool.

But I wonder if that is the only way to reach a kid these days? Is it all about the glitz and glamour of the experience or can we still say that people are really looking for something real and fulfilling that is only found in Christ? Can we say that without depending on these types of experiences? I hope so. I want to say that these experiences are nothing without the Holy Spirit working in the hearts and minds of those kids...but, when was the last time a meeting, worship service, Christian concert, and/or experience was planned and the Holy Spirit was the main event. What does it look like when an evangelistic event or lifestyle is really, really dependant on the healing and working power of the Holy Spirit?

I am not knocking on the hearts and intentions of the Winter Jam ministry.
I loved it and the experience was unforgettable.

But are we missing something in our youth ministries today. The theme of the Wesleyan youth conference in 2003 was consumed, called, convinced.

Has it now become entertained, impressed, consumed?
Are we training kids to become fully devoted followers of Christ or American idol judges?
Just some thoughts from a new youth pastor trying to make a difference for the kingdom.

Jared Bell

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I know what you mean. This is something I've been struggling with for the last year or two. Has youth ministry become all about entertaining? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate big events and the purpose they fulfill ... but there has to be more. Are we completely relying on them? Some say that we have to make our programs flashy and exciting to bring in and keep the kids. I agree to some point, but is Jesus Christ not exciting enough?! Is the living God wanting to have a personal relationship with us not enough?! Anyway...

I think effective youth ministry really has to come down to deep, real relationships.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Jared said...

we share this struggle. I believe in relational ministry but it sure does help a youth minister's job security when he/she's got 100 kids flocking every wednesday to hear bands and win prizes as opposed to a few kids actually 'getting it' in a bible study once per week. I'm interested in more of your thoughts on this.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason we don't see results is because we don't seek after the heart of God. I would bet that more people are praying for different events than we spend praying for our church and its services. The pastors at my church have quit entertaining people and there is really a huge movement of the Holy Spirit there. praying and depending on God's word are two things we need more of. Two things I need more of, lol. God has promised us so many things but we don't know we have it because we aren't seeeking. This is something that anyone who is a christian should really take personally. The reality is that the way the Bible tells me I can know God is not the way I know that anyone knows God. A big inconsistency. Maybe it is far past time that we put away our Christian books and Cd's and sit with the Source for a while. I know I need it...
Haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is well at KWC.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in vocational youth ministry three decades...and I didn't get converted until I was 26. I hope I never forget the wise words of a guy who way back in Bible school said, "What got 'em there, keeps 'em there." So when we do razzledazzle stuff and we see "decisions" , what is going to get the "decision makers" into a life of discipleship rather than "can you top this?" One-on-one. Period. The unglamorous effort of "follow up" as opposed to gloating about our "body counts." It is tough...though I'm older than dirt I love contemporary music, I love to be with kids, but methinks the thing that makes long-term difference is the one-on-one time, the email to the one rather than the masses, the few moments intently listening to a teen.
Keep focused on Christ, my young friend, and not the trends nor the trend setters.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home