Weeds
This summer has been one of church visits (I'm trying to find a job), reading, weddings (yeah, it’s really sick), and landscaping parts of my parents property.
The other day I was weed eating an area, right beside the house, where my mom had planted flowers only a year before. You see, my mom's dad is an expert gardener in his old age and my mom and dad had the grand scheme of buying and plating flowers when my grandpa came to visit. It also made the yard look pretty nice.
But, truth is, a year later there is no sign of any flowers and I am weed whacking over the area. My mind begins to wander as I'm doing this and think about how one never has to be any good at gardening to grow weeds. In fact, you don't have to do anything to get them. If some guy were to try and be all prideful about his beautiful garden of weeds I think we would all have to hit him with his hoe and laugh at him. Then after he wakes up we could tell him about how it takes no talent to grow weeds and say we're sorry for hitting him with hs hoe. Anyways, it seems that weeds just spring up without any help from us, whether we're in want of them or not.
And then my thoughts began to shift to the idea of how easy it is to sin. Like we are soil that is naturally seeded to sin and grow weeds. Hmmm. At this moment I stopped to think that I was pretty profound that that if I was sitting in a restaurant with a famous evangelical preacher he/she would think I was profound too. But that was a childish moment because it is a very simple concept and not all that profound.
The human race (man) is a broken society because of sin and our depravity seems to make it real easy for us to not want to get rid of it. Our depravity also makes us want to point out our neighbor’s overgrown weed piles to make ours look more pleasant.
Whatever. That was all I thought. I continued to work and my thoughts strayed back to star wars and candy apples. You know...normal stuff.
I'm done writing now...
Jared Bell
The other day I was weed eating an area, right beside the house, where my mom had planted flowers only a year before. You see, my mom's dad is an expert gardener in his old age and my mom and dad had the grand scheme of buying and plating flowers when my grandpa came to visit. It also made the yard look pretty nice.
But, truth is, a year later there is no sign of any flowers and I am weed whacking over the area. My mind begins to wander as I'm doing this and think about how one never has to be any good at gardening to grow weeds. In fact, you don't have to do anything to get them. If some guy were to try and be all prideful about his beautiful garden of weeds I think we would all have to hit him with his hoe and laugh at him. Then after he wakes up we could tell him about how it takes no talent to grow weeds and say we're sorry for hitting him with hs hoe. Anyways, it seems that weeds just spring up without any help from us, whether we're in want of them or not.
And then my thoughts began to shift to the idea of how easy it is to sin. Like we are soil that is naturally seeded to sin and grow weeds. Hmmm. At this moment I stopped to think that I was pretty profound that that if I was sitting in a restaurant with a famous evangelical preacher he/she would think I was profound too. But that was a childish moment because it is a very simple concept and not all that profound.
The human race (man) is a broken society because of sin and our depravity seems to make it real easy for us to not want to get rid of it. Our depravity also makes us want to point out our neighbor’s overgrown weed piles to make ours look more pleasant.
Whatever. That was all I thought. I continued to work and my thoughts strayed back to star wars and candy apples. You know...normal stuff.
I'm done writing now...
Jared Bell


4 Comments:
Who you calling a hoe?!
Simple is profound. Good stuff.
Why did you destroy my flowers, son?
what the heck?
the point of your comment is 'anomymous' as well.
Post a Comment
<< Home