Wednesday, March 09, 2005

its all about value

If you know me or have ever talked to me you've probably heard me say something to the equivalent of, "it's all about value." I don't know how long ago it was that I realized the power we, as living, breathing, talking, walking human beings have...to bring or take value away from other people who are just like us. When, you see, in reality, we have nothing better or worse than anyone else.

I love the artists who actually get it (to some extent). Metallica has a great song called, King Nothing. It depicts our nothingness and pursuit of becoming, what we define as, greater. I love William Golding's book, Lord of the Flies, where a plane crash leaves a group of boys stranded on a deserted island with shelter, food, water, and no parents. Without adult supervision the bigger of the boys begins to boss the others around and build up power through fear and build their own government until they have become like ruthless killers and fear no one and rule everyone. But then, the book ends with a grand picture of the bigger boys chasing down the last of those who stand in their way of complete domination, onto the beach. But then they see them, several very non-little-boyish United States naval officers standing in sheer confusion at how the boys are carrying on. The boys then retreat back to their state of dependence and weakness as the little boys they truly are and always have been.

You see, I believe that is how it is for all of us who sit on this earth and pursue to live life. Many of us live in a nation that boasts "all men are equal," but is it possible to ever really live with that belief? I’m not speaking of ‘race’ right now, although it could be associated, if you want. I look at us as little children whose daddy left us at home while he and mom went on a trip or to work or whatever. They left us some money for pizza, a list of chores, and another reminder from mom to brush our teeth and not watch TV until all of our math homework is done.

At first it seems to be no problem, we help each other with homework, share the money, and regularly call mom just so she knows that things are going fine and that we miss her. But sooner or later little brother starts crying and nobody wants to help him. "Let him get his own food and bath," says the older sister. Soon older brother realizes that he doesn't have to share the money for pizza anymore and, "nobody can do anything about it," he says with the surest confidence. Soon older brother and sister have taken over the house and rewritten the code of "what is to be done." Little brother and sister are to do big bro and sis's homework for them, along with their own chores. Nothing is decided without big brother’s approval.

Now, if I were to go it too much detail I would have to choke myself because I’m totally ripping off Golding's analogy with modern household dynamics. One day...the parents are going to return home and big brother and sister, all high and mighty, will realize their child-ness and their need for their parents. They will know the wrong in what they have done and be restored to their true value and stature. Now, the little ones, those who were reduced to slaves, will be rewarded for their diligence and restored to the same level of true value of childlike need. And that's it. In the parent's eyes there are no (or there are not supposed to be!) favorites, or even different levels of love. Due to the scarcity of parents of who truly love and value their children, these days, I must now completely ditch this illustrious story and bring it back to real life.

As human beings, we so often look for value in the world and the affairs of men. How high can I jump? How far can he throw? How much money can I make? How beautiful is she? How much better can I be than them?

You know what I’m talking about…The pursuit of success and power…Justification by comparison. We’ve been doing this since grammar school; if I am stronger I will put down the weaker in order to show them how strong I am. If I have money, I put down the poor; if I’m pretty I will let the ugly know just how pretty I am.

How much of what you do is because it was your idea? And…
How much of what you do is to please or impress others?

Ready for what I believe? I believe there are no such things as fashionable and unfashionable, rich and poor, pretty and ugly, smart and dumb…there is only one side! Grace.

I believe that all people were created equal, by God and were created with the same amount of value and potential as everyone else.

I believe that we live in a world where ‘what he says, she says’ has become detrimental to who I am and…that’s not right.

I believe that the only line in the sand that could ever separate me from Marilyn Manson, Michael Jackson, or even you is the decision to follow Christ and pursue a life turned over to him.

Hmmm. That’s sort of it. Our value comes from up above.
God does not love us more because we are pretty, American, republican, or listen to Christian radio stations. God loves us all equal and that is all that matters.

I'm done writing now... Jared Bell

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

well put. love the lord of the flies analysis.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home