Picking up the Pieces
It is my belief that every time one goes to a new place they must re-find themselves there and that is what I have been doing over the past 6 months. My life changed when I married Becky, my life changed when I graduated from a university and the university lifestyle, my life changed when I accepted my current ministry position. My life has changed. But...
The hardest is not the newness; the hardest part seems to be trying to find the old me with its new skin. I have no doubt that God has led me to where I am and what I’m doing, but I tend to get real impatient about finding myself and the attributes about em that I worked so hard to gain before my life changed.
In the best words I can think of, I have been finding pieces of myself here in Kernersville, NC. The man who was once so disciplined, so on time, so everything (but not really everything) has become this new guy who had to ask directions to Wal-Mart or the post office. He has no gym membership and since he got one has seemed to find a great excuse every morning to convince me to let him go back to sleep. This guy has little time to keep in touch with his out of town relationships and this guy is me.
But I love my life and each day has its challenges. I feel like its easy to look back and think my life was easy and that I was awesome before I moved and got everything thrown out of whack-but...I am learning that I struggled to find myself at IWU 4 years ago and became a new me, I struggled to find myself at each of the summer jobs I took over the past decade, and who I am now is because of the pieces of myself that I found in each of those places.
I love change but I need help finding myself. Things are different...the places I eat, the conversations and dates I share with Becky, the people I call, the time I spend with God-its all different but its still me. It is still part of who I am.
I wish it was all easier.
Jared Bell
The hardest is not the newness; the hardest part seems to be trying to find the old me with its new skin. I have no doubt that God has led me to where I am and what I’m doing, but I tend to get real impatient about finding myself and the attributes about em that I worked so hard to gain before my life changed.
In the best words I can think of, I have been finding pieces of myself here in Kernersville, NC. The man who was once so disciplined, so on time, so everything (but not really everything) has become this new guy who had to ask directions to Wal-Mart or the post office. He has no gym membership and since he got one has seemed to find a great excuse every morning to convince me to let him go back to sleep. This guy has little time to keep in touch with his out of town relationships and this guy is me.
But I love my life and each day has its challenges. I feel like its easy to look back and think my life was easy and that I was awesome before I moved and got everything thrown out of whack-but...I am learning that I struggled to find myself at IWU 4 years ago and became a new me, I struggled to find myself at each of the summer jobs I took over the past decade, and who I am now is because of the pieces of myself that I found in each of those places.
I love change but I need help finding myself. Things are different...the places I eat, the conversations and dates I share with Becky, the people I call, the time I spend with God-its all different but its still me. It is still part of who I am.
I wish it was all easier.
Jared Bell


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home