Like a brick (...house)
It has been kind of a first for me and my group this week. In my 4 years in NC this was the first time that a student suicide has hit so close to those that we regularly interact with at Uth.
I got the call Monday morning from a parent who's daughters found out via text message at midnight the night before. Actually, I have now come to find out that 90% of the students found out via text message that night...how crazy is that? Finding out about something like that in such an impersonal and emotionless avenue makes me cringe for this generation.
Anyways, the guy who died is someone that me and most of my high school students knew and that makes this really tough. Even those that weren't close to Him are still wandering about like zombies trying to make sense of the concept of the life's unpredictable, unfair, and un-answerable moments.
DEATH hits you like a brick no matter who you are. Those who grow cold to death have grown cold to a part of life.
The wake up call to many students has been to realize that life is not forever and, even tougher, wrestling with the questions of "why?" WHY would he want to end his own life? Why would anyone want to end their own life? Could I have done something to help? Did I do anything to NOT help? I tell you what...this guy was never a regular attendee but I sure do remember him and the times he did come and it makes me wonder if I did all that I could to "reach out" and love him.
DEATH hits you like a brick no matter who you are. It makes you think more about the parts of life that are ‘no fun to look at.’ It makes us look at ourselves.
Tonight a decent sized group of kids came to Uth directly from the wake and it couldn't have been more...oh, I don't know how to describe it. God got a lot of Glory tonight and I am glad that this could be a place for people to hug, cry, sit, listen, and BE. Nobody wanted to leave but I knew at one point that we needed to tactfully end in a way that kids who’s parents were waiting could leave but not make older driving students feel pushed out.
I got home 2 hours later. It was a good night.
Tomorrow is the funeral.
I'm done writing now...
Jared Bell
I got the call Monday morning from a parent who's daughters found out via text message at midnight the night before. Actually, I have now come to find out that 90% of the students found out via text message that night...how crazy is that? Finding out about something like that in such an impersonal and emotionless avenue makes me cringe for this generation.
Anyways, the guy who died is someone that me and most of my high school students knew and that makes this really tough. Even those that weren't close to Him are still wandering about like zombies trying to make sense of the concept of the life's unpredictable, unfair, and un-answerable moments.
DEATH hits you like a brick no matter who you are. Those who grow cold to death have grown cold to a part of life.
The wake up call to many students has been to realize that life is not forever and, even tougher, wrestling with the questions of "why?" WHY would he want to end his own life? Why would anyone want to end their own life? Could I have done something to help? Did I do anything to NOT help? I tell you what...this guy was never a regular attendee but I sure do remember him and the times he did come and it makes me wonder if I did all that I could to "reach out" and love him.
DEATH hits you like a brick no matter who you are. It makes you think more about the parts of life that are ‘no fun to look at.’ It makes us look at ourselves.
Tonight a decent sized group of kids came to Uth directly from the wake and it couldn't have been more...oh, I don't know how to describe it. God got a lot of Glory tonight and I am glad that this could be a place for people to hug, cry, sit, listen, and BE. Nobody wanted to leave but I knew at one point that we needed to tactfully end in a way that kids who’s parents were waiting could leave but not make older driving students feel pushed out.
I got home 2 hours later. It was a good night.
Tomorrow is the funeral.
I'm done writing now...
Jared Bell


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home